UMC Testing is finally here!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

First day ever at the UMC!
Ready to take life head on! 
Testing is going great so far. I have my list of questions (and so does my mom and so does my dad...) all ready to go for our surgeon meeting tomorrow. My mom and my 91 year old grandma who I adore are here with me in Tucson. My dad is driving in tomorrow for the meeting with surgeons. I thought I would have all this time to meet up with some old friends from high school and some new "pancreas" friends, but its been test after test and then sleep! One of my friends from high school lives here and her hubby actually works as a pharmacist at the UMC so they are going to stop in during surgery recovery and see me.  Oh well, there will be more time for seeing friends later.

My mom and grandma and I are all staying in a nice room at the Windmill Inn here in Tucson. My mom has been AMAZING! Words can't even describe how blessed I have been to have a mother like mine. No hurdle, no test, no scary anything will ever take her down. She always has a smile on her face and always encourages me that every little thing will be okay! She is right so that helps too. Tonight we made our list of questions together and one of mine was mortality. We spoke about it together, and she said to me so positively "You are NOT going to die. You are going to live and live much better then you have been." My mom is so strong. Stronger than me, and she is so positive. She always tells me how much worse this could be, and again she is so right. I have so much to be thankful for and so much to live for. Today, my mom came home from running around town while I was napping after tests and she had sugar free, fat free, ice cream for me! I don't know how she finds these things, but she is always thinking of me. I am just a lucky gal.

I had a test today that required me to eat radioactive eggs. The idea is you eat the eggs and then you go under a camera and it monitors where the eggs are in the digestive system. As you can imagine, radioactive eggs are so gross. Eggs in general make me sick unless they are made into a yummy omelet or something so I got them and my eyes welled up with tears. They were microwaved in a Styrofoam cup and the lady running the test was less than friendly. I cried a bit then I decided that I was being a nut. I ate 5 huge bites, more like swallowed them whole, and I waited to make sure I ate enough for them to work. The best part about all of this is that my mom finds a way to be in the room with me during it all. Even when they tell her no, we both explain how important it is for her to join me in the test rooms! They usually let her and when they don't I typically beg them after I am already in the room and they go get her. It just is better for me when she is there. Call me a baby, I don't care. I like it!  The lady was not so amused, but she ended up warming up to me a bit after the 5 hours we had to spend together. She even ended up giving me a big hug at the end and telling me she hoped everything went well! The test was so long because the food wasn't really going where it should. I will find out about all that tomorrow. I also had about 27 vials of blood taken since I have been here, all in one shot. That had me a bit nervous because I don't like blood work and I don't like 27 vials....ever. You would think about about 1,000 blood draws I would not mind at all, but it just didn't work out like that :-). Tomorrow I have an MRCP, which is just an MRI with contrast. Thursday I have an EGD which is a scope test and I will be sleeping during it, thank goodness. I also have many meetings with docs! Then, I go home and celebrate Christmas! WOO HOO.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan

Your copyright

Whitney Woods 2018